Making needed improvements for safety of seniors wanting to age in place, the bathroom is the place to start. A few additional features in the bathroom can reduce the number of falls and other accidents that could result in major injuries.
1. Make sure that electrical appliances ( such as hair dryers, radios, shavers, heaters, etc.) are not placed where they can fall into the bathtub or come in contact with water.
2. Install grab bars on the side of the bathtub.
3. Use a skid-resistant bath mat by the tub or shower.
4. If the bathtub doesn't have a skid resistant bathroom use a suction type mat in the tub
5. Have a special container for used razor blades and other sharp objects. Don't toss them into the wastebasket.
6. Leave a night light or motion censored light on in the bathroom and in dark hallways.